24 May 2019
Tuesday 28th and Wednesday 29th
May – Year 7 Excursions to Desert Knowledge Australia
Thursday 30th May – Athletics Carnival
Friday 31st May – Staff Learning Day – no school for students
Monday 10th June – Queen’s Birthday public holiday
Wednesday 12th and Thursday 13th June – Year 9 Clontarf Camp
Thursday 20th June – School Council
Wednesday 26th June – Semester 1 Achievement Reports mailed home
From the Principal
NAPLAN Online has been our big focus over the last fortnight, with Year 7 and 9s completing four assessments – in Writing, Reading, Language Conventions and Numeracy. This has been a very positive experience and the change to the online testing and mostly been smooth. There was some technical disruptions on the first day of testing and there is more about this below in the newsletter.
Our students have been developing their athletics skills in PE in preparation for our Athletics Day next Thursday (30th May). We will spend the day at the Rhonda Diano Oval (Head St) and students will demonstrate their skills in track and field. Its always a really fun day with students getting involved and trying their best. Families are very welcome to join us.
Next Friday (31st May) we have a staff learning day, which means there is no school for students. Staff will be developing their understandings of high impact instructional practices to ensure that each of our students achieves at least a year’s growth in their learning for a year’s attendance. Thank you for making other arrangements for your young people on this day.
Paul van Holsteyn
School news and updates
We have almost completed NAPLAN Online with our Year 7 and 9 students.
While all assessments have been completed and overall it was a positive experience for our school and students, regrettably on the first day of testing some national connectivity issues occurred. This was when our students completed the Writing assessment.
We have assessed that some of our students may have experienced a disruption in a way that prevented them from having a fair opportunity to demonstrate their abilities in the tests on Tuesday 14 May. We have been in contact with parents of these students and offered the opportunity to re-sit on Tuesday 28 May for writing tests, using a new test question. Re-sitting the test is optional.
We have had a large number of students performing in the Centralian Eisteddfod this week, and will have some more performing next week.
Many of these students have performed as a result of our partnership with the NT Music School. We have had students performing solo, in duos, triplets and bands. Learning an instrument with the NT Music School is easy and affordable. Students receive a weekly lesson and have the opportunity to join bands and ensembles. Call the school if you would like more information.
Keeping Kids Safe Online
The eSafety Commissioner is committed to empowering all Australians to have a safer, more positive experience online. We know that interacting and connecting with others online is an important part of young people’s worlds. How can we support them to do this in a safe way? Below we have included a fact sheet around ‘Online Safety for Parents and Carers’, as well as the link to the eSafety website to further learn about how we can keep our kids safe online.
Work opportunities at Coles
Coles are currently looking for 15 enthusiastic, customer focused Indigenous Junior (14-20 years old) Team Members for a number of vacancies at our Alice Springs store.
Interviews will be conducted on Wednesday 5th June, starting at 3:30pm.
- Positions will require availability across evenings and weekends.
- Casual = Approximately 10Hours per week.
- School leavers, can work additional hours.
- Please do not email any resume’s or CV’s, please bring CV’s to the interview
- All applicants must be Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
- NOTE: All applicants MUST apply on-line and complete an ‘Expression of Interest’ form (see details below).
- NOTE: Applicants MUST complete and bring the attached form.
- IMPORTANT: A copy of their Photo ID & copy of Birth certificate MUST be provided at the Interview. NO ID, NO INTERVIEW
- Complete an online ‘Expression of Interest’ form:
Complete application form
Record your application number (e.g. 132917273) and write it on the form attached
- Times: Start 3:30PM – finish 6:30PM
- Date: Wednesday 5th of June
- Address: Level 2, 3/16 Hartley Street, Jock Nelson Centre, Alice Springs
- Process: First in, first interviewed. The applicant will be interviewed, in order of arrival. No booking is required, just turn up between the stated times above.
- Please bring all required documentation mentioned below to the interview.
- Copy of photo ID
- Copy of birth certificate
- Coles online Application number
- Bank details & tax file number
- Attached assessment form
Young Territory Author Awards
Fostering Integration Project Meeting
Keep up to date with all our news and updates
Head on over to ‘like’ our Facebook page to keep in touch with school news, highlights and achievements of our wonderful students. We encourage people to like and share our posts.
Please read the terms of engagement before posting comments.